Types of Creative Blocks
We’ve heard of writer’s block, when an author of a book can’t come up with the next thing that they want to write.
We’ve heard of actors that have to take several takes in a scene when they just can’t get the moment captured correctly.
We’ve even heard of musicians that take sabbaticals from music because the music just isn’t happening. (My brother happens to be teaching a class on this subject – if producing music is having it’s blocks for you, then check him out.)
For me and art, I blame my lapses in creation on the many roles I must fill and the lack of time that leaves. I can see how those that don’t have my roles struggle to understand why I’m not painting all the time – some chalk it up to lack of motivation, fear of failure or something else. All I know is people understand it through what they have experienced themselves and not necessarily what I’m going through and that’s OK.
The truth of my reality is that my creative juices are flowing! I feel like a slingshot that has been pulled back for years and I’m nearing the release. What does this mean you ask? It means that some of my current roles are relaxing and more space and time is opening up for my art work.
Lack of HIGHER Connection
It’s easy to see that our society in ‘Merica is tapped into politics and so much anger associated with it. We are easily out of alignment from our natural state of being. If we don’t step back from it and see the bigger picture – we might all drown in our current negative fear and angry constipated state.
A painter knows how to do this naturally. We work up close in the details on canvas and then step back to make sure it all works together for the painting as a whole. Likewise for any artist that isn’t inspired, at least from my perspective, they can pause and find their connection to a higher source to flow through them.
Back to those actors that can’t perform. Have you seen the trailer for the Helen Mirren Masterclass? I always wondered what makes a great actor and I find her to be an amazing one. She simply says, “never act in front of the mirror, you are doing the exact opposite of what acting is about. Acting is all about what’s happening within you. It doesn’t matter what’s happening on your face.” What this statement did for me, was tell me I need to stop worrying about how I’m perceived (let go of ego) and instead create inside what I want to develop in myself and the world around me (spirituality, flow and connection).
From Loss to Spiritual Gain
In 2019, we lost 4 very special members of our family. The first was one of my favorite people in the world, my grandmother who had just turned 98. And the last in December, was my aunt. My aunt hit me hardest as she was still young. She had spent 2019 reconnecting with me through my business for her business. She was a fine abstract artist and need a logo, help with her website, business cards and envelopes. We met regularly. This was not typical for my clients but she was my lovely aunt and I loved any chance to spend time with her.
One would think loss would stagnate a person. (I’ve had great loss before when my dad died and depression took hold of me for many, many years until I learned I actually had a chronic health issue that was making it hard to recover from that loss. Once I learned to manage my health condition, I was able to learn from the loss and create tools for faster recovery.) The latest loss of my aunt did stop me in my tracks for a month or two, but in dealing with my grief I found myself more connected to her and a higher source.
My aunt was the epitome of someone aligned with the universe. No matter the challenges in her life, she always exuded that she was on top of the world! And, she was in so many ways. She loved to be known for her fluidity. Her abstract paintings even showed her flow. She and I would have brief conversations about “flow” and I held onto it – better yet, I let it flow through me as a life long lesson from her that she wanted me to have. I notice when I take time to sit and be still – when I’m grateful for what is and I tap into the flow of the universe – creativity flows through me like wildfire!
Side note: the day I wrote the paragraphs above about my beautiful aunt, and using a word that I paused to use because I never use it, I had a very serendipitous moment. I had to venture out to the grocery store which is about a block away, I normally walk but I had just showered and it’s getting hot so I took my car. After getting what I needed, I got in my car and drove home. The radio started a song I hadn’t heard in years:
She comes down from Yellow Mountain
On a dark, flat land she rides
On a pony she named Wildfire
With a whirlwind by her side
On a cold Nebraska night
Oh, they say she died one winter
When there came a killing frost
And the pony she named Wildfire
In the short drive, I felt it was a connection to my aunt. And by the time the chorus came I was singing it and bawling like a baby, “She ran calling WILDFIRE.”
Hilarious now when I think of it
How to tap into your Creative Flow:
- Meditatively Connect with Nature: Sit and be still or do a walking meditation each day, let go of any previous issues and realize the power of now, listen to what the universe is telling you (what patterns is it showing you) and set your intention for the day.
- Marvel at the Universe, the world, the moment: take the time each day to feel in awe of a piece of creation. Or, likewise, find the serendipity and marvel at how things magically aligned for you. Appreciation for the mystery of life and the universe builds the connection.
- Turn OFF to Tune IN: We could easily entertain ourselves all day with screens. But a large percentage of it doesn’t make us feel good. With TV most of the news makes us feel sick to our stomachs. With social media, connection is the aim but often “friends” don’t have the same agenda and it can leave you with negativity. Create a small window in your day for unwinding with the positive parts of screen time and leave the rest of your day for all of your other interests.
- Create Space: Both the time in your schedule and the actual space that you designate as your creative space. (Space enhancers include: all of your tools for creation, candles or aromatherapy misters and music.) Purging your home is a great way to open up mind space. Clutter in the home equals block to creativity in the mind.
- Collect Inspiration: I created a folder called Artspiration and it is where I put items that inspire me and speak to my specific style.
- Have FUN!: Dance, tell your friend a joke, play a game, and find in your day what will make you laugh and say it or do it! Do what brings you the joy!
- Make Someone’s Day: If I ask you to think of one person that made your day, someone will quickly come to mind – even if it was years ago. It’s something we don’t forget, and it’s something we didn’t know we needed. When you see the opportunity, participate in a random act of kindness for someone else. We do this, not because the Universe will reward us (and it will) – we do this because this might be the sole purpose of our lives.
- Listen to your body: Get enough sleep, get so connected “to the source” that you only eat when you are truly hungry, rest when you need to rest, and push yourself when you need the challenge.
- Don’t punish yourself: You’re tapping into a high power and it knows more than you, so the goals you may set for yourself might not be inline with the bigger plans – if things keep popping up interfering with your plans go with it – go with the flow – be fluid. Know that something better is awaiting you around the corner.
- Surprise Yourself: Do something out of the norm. Try something new. Getting stuck in a rut is not in the flow – it means you aren’t tapped in.
- Have faith: know that the Universe has your back.
From Blockages to Flow
Whether ego, politics, lack, grief or traumas are the culprits to your creative blocks, the solution is letting go. By dropping negativity and connecting to something bigger and smarter than you, you tap into unlimited possibilities and potential. Similar to riding on a horse like wildfire, you learn to throw all caution to the wind with total faith that the universe is your friend in doing all the good creative, beautiful things that life has to offer you.
As I write this, I notice nothing flows through me faster than when I tap into saying what is good and right for humanity, mother nature and even what is good for my own soul.
Do you have blockages? How are you connecting to the source? What good things are you going to do? What creative endeavors do you want to explore? Let me know in the comments…
Setting up a New Business
You’ve been playing around with the idea for your new business for some time. You have the vision, you know which companies inspire you, you know the solution you want to solve for your customers. You can visualize the lifestyle you want to live with your new business. But, you may be wondering how to start your own business. And, “where do I get started,” you may ask?
J. Lacey Taylor started her own business researching every little step. Her goal is to save start-ups like yours all of that time to move through all of the to dos faster and with ease. She knows the must-knows of setting up a new business and wants to be your resource to help you breeze through the process so that you can focus on the important things, like making money and making your dreams come true! Here is the beginning process…
First, lock in your name and make it official. You’ll want to go to Sunbiz.org and make sure the name you had in mind is available. While you’re at it, make sure the domain name/URL you had in mind is also available.
Second, do your research. You’ll want to understand your market inside and out. If you don’t know how to research, J. Lacey Taylor can provide an in-depth look with valuable insights to get you started off in the right direction with a winning strategy. Don’t waste time and money guessing your way through branding and marketing.
Third, with the marketing research you can better target your customers with your brand development and design.
Fourth, moving into production of your website and promotional materials is so much easier and decisions are made faster when your strategy is based on market data. J. Lacey Taylor has a degree in digital design and can help with all of your production needs.
Last but not least, launch and celebrate your achievement! You are in business and nothing feels better than being in control of your own future and goals! Not everyone can stomach this amount of freedom and control over ones life but if you are an entrepreneur you will know it in your gut.
The infograph below provides a visual representation of the steps you’ll need to consider to get started.
When starting out you’ll not only want a digital designer/marketer to help build a business that looks and feels creditable, you’ll also want mentors that can give you an outsiders experienced perspective on your plans. In North Florida the best organizations JLT has come across when starting a business in jacksonville fl, were SCORE (Service Core of Retire Executives) and SBDC ( Small Business Development Center) and their services are FREE!
Marketing a New Business
To show your customers that you are the right choice over your competitor, investing in assets is crucial. JLT created an Essential Items for Business infograph of the assets that give you the most bang for your buck. The cost for these items are small when considering what the value of drawing in leads equals for your business. The mentor organizations above provide great resources for financing your initial start-up costs.
When you decide that you are ready to start your business, J. Lacey Taylor offers a new business start-up package that will provide you any or all of the items mentioned above at your desire and pace. Packages start at $388/m. Schedule a consultation with Lacey today to start building your dream!
How to get more reviews
& optimize you Google accounts
Have you been missing out on online Google reviews? Somehow you still aren’t getting the reviews you need even though you offer great services. Ever wonder how to get more reviews? Google My Business Services will get your business where you want to be, but how, you ask. It is the most cost effective method for business growth, but it is hard to understand. JLT understands you don’t have time to deal with figuring out your Google accounts.
J. Lacey Taylor and Google are BFFs! Spending years working with their tools. Produce amazing results, JLT shares her knowledge to help benefit your business most. JLT created a package to optimize your google accounts and get more customer reviews!
With the Google Account Services Package, J. Lacey Taylor will:
- Analyze where your business currently stands,
- Set-up the Google accounts you need (whether its Google My Business, Analytics, Search Console, Gmail and Calendar),
- Implement & optimize your Google accounts so that Google recognizes your business as credible in your industry,
- Update content to make it fresh and relevant,
- Check and correct any inconsistencies in the accounts,
- Connect your Google accounts to the appropriate services to better automate processes,
- Offer you a fail proof way to capture more reviews, and
- Strategize & recommend solutions for on-going success.
JLT offers all of this to you for $499. Contact J. Lacey Taylor at 904-878-0881 or firstname.lastname@example.org, to win-over Google and capture more client reviews!
It’s Client Thanks-Giving Month!
It’s not too late to become a client and get goodies!
Personally, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! It’s less about expectation and more about being grateful and getting together with your favorite people to share your gratitude for each other. Professionally as an extension of that spirit, J. Lacey Taylor (with it’s awesome website design, SEO & Graphic Design services) will be giving-thanks to our clients and new clients in the month of November. I’ve even started a local club for women owned businesses to have monthly “thanks-giving” type gatherings to take a fun break with other women business owners and share our business know how.
This November if you were a client in the last 12 months or if you become a new client this month, as a THANK YOU, you will receive:
- An E-Book Titled: Advanced SEO Tricks
- Added to the J. Lacey Taylor Resource Page
(Did someone say backlinks? Yes please!)
- Membership into our local women owned business group.
- Get entered into a drawing for a chance to win your choice of a post bragging about your business (wonderful for SEO) OR an infograph design (also great for social media posts and website display).
- And, a major discount offer into our new Next Level Membership! (This is a new service membership that expands your team – leveling up your business to greater heights without bringing on employees.)
Services offered by J Lacey Taylor that are included in the Next Level Membership are:
- Website Design, Troubleshooting & Maintenance
Clients will receive an email with their thanks-giving gifts and details. If you’d like to become a client this month and take advantage of all of the goodies offered, contact J Lacey Taylor to schedule your free consultation about the service you need for your business! email@example.com & (904) 878-0881
Update: And, the WINNER IS…